Wednesday 5 November 2014

Flipkart Pulls Ad for 'Rs. 32 Lakh' Book

This might not be the most expensive book ever, but Antonia Cyn's "Foretold" costs quite a packet, at least in Flipkart. The price - a little over Rs. 32 lakh. 

The online retailer realised its gaffe and pulled off the page on Tuesday afternoon. But by then, the damage was done. It had become the butt of jokes online. Several reviewers wrote in to say how much they "loved" it. 

"I found 32 lakhs under an old hat and didn't know what to do with it, so got this book. Not disappointed," wrote one reviewer.

"Had a big fight with the wife after I bought this book without discussing with her. However, once  I convinced her to give it a try, she too fell in love with the characters and the story line," wrote another.

But the reviewer calling himself the Wolf had the most interesting story to tell.

"I tried each and every possible way of getting money but failed. I sold my house and every asset but couldn't collect the money. It was then that I decided to meet the only person on this planet who I think can help me. So I contacted Sir Rajnikanth. But when he saw the price he fell ill," he wrote.

"Later, Me and Rajni Sir formed a team and we contacted every bank in India. But... even World Bank said "NO"." The journey, he wrote, "ended at the Swiss bank," and thanked "all the Indian politicians who had deposited their black money there".

The Twitterrati, too, had a gala day. "Point to be noted, this book is on EMI, starting at Rs.155,993," wrote Priyanka. 

Last month, Flipkart had raised the hackles of customers with its controversial Billion Day sale. Many were unable to access the site, others complained that the prices of some products were marked up and then marked down.

And the costliest book ever? A notebook of Leonardo da Vinci that sold for $30.8 million at auction house Christie's in November 1994. The buyer was Microsoft founder Bill Gates.

No comments:

Post a Comment